Tuesday, May 24, 2016
Healthy Living: The Ender's Game & Thoughts
So, I completed reading the novel: THE ENDER'S GAME.
Did I like it? Meh. It's one of my lesser love novel. It took me awhile to finished it because I couldn't really relate to the Ender much. And then, I despised what the I.F Military force did to him. They really manipulated his life to the point he didn't really lived it. He was simply a weapon that people could be used to destroy thing. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem much like a life but rather like slavery. Throughout the whole novel, we are given the impression that Ender did all of this "voluntarily". But really, if you think about it: there is nothing voluntary about it.
First, since birth, they have put him in a very difficult situation. They put him in the place where he was born as the 3rd child. As a result, he was chosen to be born in a circumstances where the world would not welcome him. He was a weapon they designed since birth. Afterward, when they put him through military school, they turned the whole school against him. He did not get to decided anything except to excel at every task they gave him. He knew he was the weapon, and he acted and lived up to the name. Now, if you really think about it, if you raised a child and only give them 1 sole purpose in life and sheltered from the rest of humanity. That child will only grow up knowing one thing, and only one thing. This child is nothing more than your manipulated tool. You never really given the kid a chance to learn and appreciated the world. Every action and ever breathe he took was carefully planned. That is not life let alone free will to "voluntarily" save the world.
"His breathing was quick and light. He was a soldier, and if anyone had asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, he wouldn't have known what they meant." -The Ender's Game
There are many things I despised about this book. It was well written and everything about the story flow fast. But I simply despised the world Ender lived in and how the author justified it so that Ender doesn't feel hatred toward the whole damn system.
Overall, I think the book was one manipulation after another. The author really doesn't do much justify to Ender's life. In addition, I didn't connect with Ender's achievement. I didn't see big point of saving the world. It was simply just a matter of "saving the world because we are the human race and its in our gene to survive." I mean, the Earth that Ender knew was simply just a sketch of his memory. He didn't live on Earth his whole life and the people on earth knew nothing of the sacrifice that Ender had made. I didn't even think Earth was worth saving. Its a little bit sad.
I came out of the book hating the people who put Ender in his place. He is a genius but really, what a life is that? Ender is simply a boy robbed of his childhood and his rights. His life was already planned and chosen for him. He was simply just playing the role, like an actor performing to his script. I didn't feel life from Ender. I felt sad and pity for him.
Lastly, the book dealt with some politics. I didn't really buy much into the politics and could not connect with any of the characters. I'm sure this would be a great book for others, but for me, not that much. I didn't really enjoy it as much, but maybe its not my cup of tea.
I didn't mean to write hateful comment about the book or anything. I actually think it is well written, but its just wasn't my kind of story. I didn't related to it much. That is just all. To each their own. Would I recommend it to others? Maybe, depends on the person I'm recommending it too. However, I do feel one very important thing. Just because I did not find much meaning in this novel does not mean it doesn't hold great significant to others. I'm sure if this book was read by someone else and view in a different light, it would be an instant classic to them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment